Monday, June 20, 2011

Stomach pain from Hell...

It all started about a month or so ago. I began waking during the night with this terrible stomach pain. It was in my upper stomach, more under my breasts. I thought that it was heartburn. So, I would get up and pop some Tums and try to go back to bed. Most times, this didn't work. The pain was unbearable. It took some time to get comfy and fall back to sleep. Then, two weeks ago the pain came back again. This time, I was up all night long vomiting with it. I just thought that I either had the stomach bug or possibly might have ate something that didn't agree with me. This knocked me out for pretty much the entire weekend. I was sore all over for days. But again, the pain left and I thought nothing more of. That is until last weekend. It was around 11:00pm on Saturday night that the pain came back again. I took some more Tums and some Advil and went to bed. When Sunday morning rolled around, there was no way I was getting out of bed! Brad was very good about staying quiet and keeping himself busy as Brian was at work. Around 1:00, my parents showed up to help us with a problem we were having with our refrigerator. This is when my mom became very concerned. She was on me to go to urgent care. I finally gave in and Brian took me to urgent care at around 2:00pm. Let me just say, I HATE urgent care!! I sat in the waiting room until 5:30 before I was even seen. Then, the PA didn't want to hear about my stomach pains. She kept going on about my heart. She then ordered an EKG. This took another 30 minutes before it was done and I was left in the room for another 45 minutes after that. The PA comes back in and stated that she didn't like the way my EKG looked and was going to have me transferred to St. Joe's for a look. At this point, I lost it. I began crying and was trying my best to keep it all in control. Of course my heartbeat is going to look off, I am in pain and they were doing NOTHING to help with it. Finally the ambulance arrived at urgent care to take me to the hospital at 8:00pm. The EMT was a bit upset that I was there that long, they gave me nothing for the pain and they didn't even get an IV in. The nurse at urgent care poked me 4 times and got nothing! The EMT tried as well, and my vein popped! I am sure the fact that I was dehydrated played a huge part in this! I finally arrived at St. Joe's around 8:45pm, where I am taken in immediately and have nurses and another PA assessing my situation. It was then that I was told that my heart was fine and that this was not the issue. I was sent for a sonogram of my gallbladder and sure enough...it was seriously infected! I was told that I was going to be admitted to the hospital and was going to have my gallbladder removed the next day. I finally made it to a room at 2:15am, given some great pain meds and slept for the rest of the night. My surgeon came to see me at 5:30am and told me that he had been up all night with another emergency and was going to do my surgery the next day when he was well rested. I thanked him and told him that I appreciated it. So nothing to eat for the next day until surgery. Oh joy!

1 comment: